Examine Adult-Emergent Disorders
Week 2 – Assignment: Examine Adult-Emergent Disorders
Top of Form
|This assignment will be submitted to Turnitin™.|
|This week’s reading material focuses on assessment, the second step in the Planned Change Process. For this assignment, you will apply both the assessment and diagnostic skills discussed in this week’s material as well as your knowledge of theories – those of human behavior and the social environment, person-in-environment, or other multidisciplinary frameworks- to consider the process of assessment. Assessment is an ongoing process based on information gained in a variety of different ways. This assignment introduces some of the more common ways of getting assessment data and determining a diagnosis when required.
1) Choose one of the following primary adult emergent disorders: Anxiety; Substance Abuse; Mood disorders(especially depression or bipolar disorder).
2) Review the DSM V criteria for the disorder you chose
3) In a written response, address each of the following prompts:
· Based on the DSM V criteria for the disorder, what questions would you ask an individual you suspect suffered from that disorder? Would the client be the only source of assessment information or would you ask the client’s permission to interview other people in her life? If so, who would you want to interview and why? If you choose to use the client as your only source of information, why?
· Choose one of the primary theoretical perspectives introduced in Human Behavior and the Social Environment (systems, person-in-environment, behavioral, or cognitive) to use as a basis for a second set of questions for the client. List at least eight questions that apply the specific theory to inform your assessment.
· There are a variety of client self-screening tools for these adult emergent disorders. Find at least one for your chosen disorder. Describe how you would introduce it to the client and how you would use the results of the screening tool in your assessment.
· Find at least three scholarly journal articles that report empirical research on this disorder. What does this evidence suggest are the most effective ways of assessing this particular disorder?
Support your assignment with at least three scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including seminal articles, may be included.
Length: 5-7 pages, not including title and reference pages
Your assignment should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the Course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards. Upload your document, and then click the Submit to Dropbox button.
Bottom of Form