What is white privilege and how does our society support “whiteness” as the norm (what is seen as “normal”)? Provide some examples from society to illustrate your responses. How can we, as a society, confront white privilege even when individuals may not know that they are benefiting from white privilege?
You must support your response with scholarly sources in APA format. Simply stating your opinion is not enough, back up your opinion with citations. Refer to the DB Grading Rubric for more details.
This chapter will investigate racism, prejudice, and white privilege.
- Chapter 4: Understanding Racism, Prejudice, and White Privilege
This chapter will explore bias in service delivery.
- Chapter 8: Bias in Service Delivery
Articles, Websites, and Videos:This article defines what is a stereotype and why it can be harmful. It further suggests ways to combat stereotypes and bias.
- Why Stereotypes Are Bad and What You Can Do about Them. (2014, Aug 13). AAUW.
This article defines stereotypes as mental shortcuts are brain uses to make sense of the world and ways these stereotypes then turn into biases.
- Paul, A. M. (1998). Where bias begins: The truth about stereotypes. Psychology Today, 31(3), 52.
This is Harvard’s Implicit Bias test where you will be able to test your own unconscious biases of various groups.
- Project Implicit. (2011). Harvard.
Due to the rising tensions between police officers and communities of color, the NYPD has employed new trainings that address implicit bias. This video explores these new trainings.